Turn Souptacular’s Lentil Lovers soup into a creamy rich vegan butternut squash soup!
Why Add Butternut Squash To Your Soup
Butternut squash is a healthy addition to your diet at any time of the year. It is a tasty alternative carbohydrate that can break the boredom of eating potatoes all the time. Nutritional benefits for 1 cup of butternut squash include:
- 7 g fibre – great for regularity in the gut
- assorted vitamins and minerals (vitamins A, C, manganese, iron, folate, zinc)
- 100 calories (26g carbs)
In addition, cooking butternut squash is easier than you might think, especially if you are adding it to your weekly pot of soup. Butternut squash soup is rich and creamy without being very fatty. When it is blended, it makes a flavourful soup that is easy to digest, and appealing to all family members, including children, vegetarians, and vegans. It really is a Souptacular soup you should try!
Overview: How To Make Butternut Squash Soup
You can roast the butternut squash with your carrots in olive oil and spices. (Detailed instructions are below.)
Once the butternut and carrot is perfectly roasted, add into a pot and sauté onions, garlic and spices together.
Rinse your Souptacular legume mixture and add it into your pot with your squash, carrots and onions and spices.
Then add your vegetable broth and water and lightly boil for 2-21/2 hours or add into and instant pot and click Soup/Broth button.
Tip: You can chop your butternut squash before roasting it, as our instructions detail below, or you can simply cut in half and roast until the vegetable is tender. When it is cooked, you can separate the husk from the flesh with a knife or spoon, and then add it to your soup.
How to Blend Roasted Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
I love using an immersion blender to create a creamy smooth texture to my base. Alternatively, you can also use your kitchen aid with whisk attachment, or Vitamix blender.
Add in your can of coconut cream for a thick and rich taste and texture but coconut milk will also work.
Recipe: Vegan Butternut Squash Soup with Lentil Lovers
First you will need:
- Souptacular’s Lentil Lovers soup mix
- 1 small butternut squash, pealed, seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes (approx. 2 cups)
- 2-3 large peeled carrots cut into 1 inch cubes (approx. 2 cups)
- 10 cups Low in sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 can coconut cream
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line one large baking sheet with parchment paper
- Toss your squash and carrot mixture with olive oil and salt and pepper And spread out on the prepared baking sheet
- Roast for 40 minutes, just until they get slightly browned
- In a pot on the stove pan fry your onion garlic, with olive oil, until the onions have caramelized
- Once the squash and carrots are done cooking, add them into the onion and garlic mixture.
- Rinse your Souptacular lentil lovers legume mixture and add into the pot.
- Add in the Souptacular seasoning packet vegetable broth. Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce the heat to medium and simmer partially covered for two hours stirring occasionally
- Once cooked and the lentils and split pea’s have started to disintegrated (breakdown) use your immersion blender or hand blender to purée the soup and vegetables into a smooth creamy texture.
- Add in your can of coconut cream stir and serve.
Soup For Special Occasions
I always think of Easter as a wonderful time to try something different with squash and root vegetables. They are such a healthy add in! Adding squash or turnips to soups is easy to do! With this recipe, you can also garnished your vegan butternut squash lentil soup with chives or some fresh herbs such as thyme or sage, to add a little bit of earthiness to the soup. You are sure to impress your Easter dinner guests, with very little effort.
Souptacular is your shortcut to gourmet every time, because it is:
- comfort food
Enjoy a delightful vegan butternut soup with Souptacular this week!